Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Steps Taken in Favor of LGBT Community

I was at a regatta for rowing this past Saturday and during all of my 3 years of being on rowing and going to countless regattas I've never seen anything as amazing and inspiring as what I saw this weekend. I noticed that there was an organization called the Chicago Rowing Union that I'd never seen before setting up their boats. I saw that my history teacher (who is gay) from last year was on the team. After asking around and looking it up myself, I found out that the Chicago Rowing Union is a LGBT rowing association... not to mention, the only one in the midwest and one of three in the entire world.

This was so touching because homophobia has become more apparent within the past decade and this organization shows the LGBT community that even though they might receive hate from many people, improvements are being made to make their lives better. Now they know they can row without being anxious that they are being judged or that people will harass them and make fun of them.

I think America is going in the right direction regarding steps being taken to help out the LGBT community. Even though I wish there were more than 3 LGBT friendly rowing associations, I am happy and hopeful that more will be formed.

1 comment:

  1. To be honest, I do not really know if I read your post the way you intended. By saying that you wish there were "more than 3 LGBT friendly rowing associations" you are saying that all the other rowing organizations are against LGBT and I would not agree. Most athletic teams have been much more tolerant to LGBT in recent year though with news like professional basketball players admitting to being gay. I wonder why it is taking longer for people in the sports world to be tolerant of the LGBT community, maybe they think it would change the team dynamic or something ridiculous like that.

    ReplyDelete