Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Evil Plans to Get Trick-Or-Treaters Healthy

Halloween is coming up and almost everyone is looking forward to collecting bagfuls of candy while trick-or-treating. I always end up eating way too much candy and feel so unhealthy afterwards. Halloween always makes me think about childhood obesity here in America and how unhealthy our country has become. I have to admit, sometimes it is embarrassing  to live in one of the world's fattest countries. It seems like people are starting to let themselves go and not care as much about health. For people that are trying to get healthy, I'm sure the abundance of candy around Halloween time isn't helping. 

I babysit for a very health-conscious family. Instead of giving out candy to trick-or-treaters, they are giving out little bags of almonds and dried fruit. I thought this was a very good idea and would make Halloween slightly healthier for the trick-or-treaters. This pack of almonds and dried fruit might spark the motivation someone needs to get healthier. If other people starting catching on and making small changes like this, we will see the obesity epidemic decline.
 
I heard a story about a woman who took "getting people healthy" way too far. On  She had a basket full of candy and a separate basket full of letters telling kids and their parents (in a nice way) that they should get healthy. As each trick-or -treater came by, she would let them pick from one of her baskets depending on how fat she thought they were. I agree with her that our country needs to be healthier, but I think it should be done in a way that won't target specific people and demoralize them. The mental health of America is just as important as the physical health.

No comments:

Post a Comment