Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Brains Are More Active During Meditation

For thousands of years, people have been meditating. For just as long, scientists have wondered what actually happens in your brain during meditation. But recently, research of meditation has sharply increased. To me, mediation seems like a waste of time. Many more important things could be getting done and I would rather be doing something productive than sitting with my eyes closed.
I recently read this article and it turns out that your brain is actually extremely active during meditation. Jian Xu, a physician researching meditation, states, "I was surprised that the activity of the brain was greatest when the person’s thoughts wandered freely on their own, rather than when the brain worked to be more strongly focused."
Judging from Xu's research, when you just sit thinking, dazing off, your brain is actually doing more than when you're concentrating on solving a math problem. This reminds me of freshman year when KW classes had "relaxation days" where you could just lay in silence. Sometimes I would sleep, and other times I would just lay there thinking. These days would leave me feeling so relaxed and rested. But little did I know that my brain was most active during these "relaxation days".
How will education, test taking, and school in general change now that we know this? It is possible that this newfound research will stimulate schools to incorporate some sort of relaxation/free period into students' schedules. Though this seems bizzare and unlikely, it will probably have positive effects on stress levels of students and, ultimately, their grades 
Further research on the effects of meditation on academics will almost surely take place within the next couple of years and I look forward to the results of this research



No comments:

Post a Comment